Friday 17 January 2014

Stuffed

If someone had said to me a few months ago that I'd be enthusing about taxidermy, I'd have told them to get stuffed (that's appalling, I'm sorry).

Probably one of my favourite places that we visited on our trip to Paris was Deyrolle - a taxidermy shopping paradise.  Downstairs is an upmarket shop selling twee gardening accoutrements such as this rather fetching and very matchy matchy velvet apron and hat set - highly useful when digging up your tatties in the allotment eh Mr J and P?


Upstairs is taxidermy gone mad.  Animals large and small (when I say large, I really mean large:  giraffes, zebras, tigers, lions), insects, butterflies, shrunken heads.....  Yes, I DID say shrunken heads.  ALL for sale. 22,000 euros for a zebra anyone?

It's truly bizarre being able to stroll amongst the critters. You're not allowed to take any photos but Little Miss J and P managed to sneak in a few selfies:







Check out their website here for a catalogue of their collections and some very interesting pics such as these:



What the heck?


Fascinating n'est pas?

Before I go, I just would like to say that I do not like jokes about German sausages.........They really are the wurst.  Oh that just makes me laugh and laugh.

Au revoir dear readers. xx

19 comments:

  1. Loo Ha ha who knew?....you take a selfie have a little peep and lo you have turned into a Lama or a tiger....magnifique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your health and safety newsletter... then broke my hip... is this another omen? xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the selfie photos. Interesting place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now, taxidermy seems to be having a Moment, all the hipsters love it, apparently. It's not for me, I'm afraid. Poor old critters. Have you been to the Natural History Museum at Tring? All your taxidermy needs, and in the UK - not to buy, but that's probably for the best.
    Tell Miss J&P she's gorgeous. On second thoughts, don't - I'm sure she already knows!
    PS. Studiously ignoring the "jokes", Loo... xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Dad used to collect taxidermy (squirrels, badgers, stoats - no exotic foreign creatures...or shrunken heads for that matter!) and I always found them fascinating when I was a kid. The only part of his collection left is a kingfisher which he gave to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Probably some of the strangest animal photos ever, the tea party?! And what is going on with all those white rabbits.
    Happy new year to you.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  7. bizarre place! Those white rabbits! My gran had two stuffed exotic birds in glass cases - remember being quite convinced their beady little eyes were following me round the room... x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Incroyable! Those white rabbits are a little bit scary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this, but how bizarre! How can a country that screams style in both their furnishings and clothing, think armoires and beautiful linens,think something like this is normal!!
    Thanks for popping by and for the lovely comment, re olive and edna.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bizarre indeed. I can imagine some nightmare in which they all come alive and party at night ... !!! M x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh the corniest one are always the funniest!!!!
    But what an interesting place to visit!
    Thanks for sharing all this,I'm not sure I would have had the stomach for it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do love taxidermy...always have since I was a wee thing who used to visit the local museum just to look at the stuffed animals! I also went here as part of a school trip many moons ago and wished I'd taken a bit more pocket money! Love the selfies.x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its like the film night at the musuem you expect them to wake up. I am not a lover of taxidermy makes me feel sorry for them but I can appreciate it. Dee x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't like stuffed animals. There is a museum near where I live - was started by a big game hunter. The animals are posed in natural settings - made my skin creep.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh, it's all a bit weird, makes me go a bit shivery. But I did giggle at your 'get stuffed' joke!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellently weird and creepy, brilliant post . Mr J and P is quite the dapper chap in his pinny!xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ummm.....ummm...
    Scratches head in puzzlement....
    Ummmmm....
    !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. PS: Get stuffed..................................................................pork roll
    Something from my old days shopping at the cold meat counter in the Co-op!

    ReplyDelete