Friday 7 February 2014

Attention to detail is not my strong point

I've always liked the white acrylic cuckoo clock in our hallway but felt it looked a little bland against the yellow wall.


So, I rediscovered some glorious 70s wallpaper from the fabulous Vintage Sheet Addict which was languishing in a drawer.  I traced round the clock and hacked away at the outline using a (virtually blunt) craft knife.


I wasn't able to remove the clock hands so I cut the wallpapering covering in half (badly) and glued it on the clock easing it around the middle bit and the hands.

Et voila!


If you look very carefully you can see the joins of the two halves of wallpaper and a fair few bubbles. *Sigh* I did say that my attention to detail was rubbish didn't I?

Mr J and P says that the solution is dim lighting.  The man has a point.

Little Miss J and P says that I needn't worry, she won't be looking at it anytime soon as "it's so disgusting." Errr thanks.



Oh well, I'm quite pleased with it and it doesn't look too botched....from a distance... [STOP PRESS:  when I last looked at the clock this morning, I couldn't see any bubbles whatsoever *huzzah*]

How about you?  What are you like when you're doing a spot of diy or being creative?  Are you, like me, a "devil-may-care dumb-ass"?  Or a "picky perfectionist"?  I'd love to know.  xx


25 comments:

  1. Well I think it looks cool! Love Miss J and P's comment though! I vary with DIY / making stuff - if I'm in the right mood, I tend to take more care, but sometimes I bodge and rush! You know sometimes you haven't really got enough time or you're not really in the mood, but do it anyway! Have a good weekend! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, Wow and WOW!! Ooh, I do love a it of upcycling, and this is upcycling of the highest order ... I love it! Thanks for popping over to Thriftwood, you're always welcome Loo

    Love Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm picky but dumb...but this might help next time...let the glue soak in for 5 mins before pressing it down, seems to stretch then shrink back once dry...love the clock. Eco Ethel xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a transformation! I love it!
    I certainly cant see any join lines, it's only cos you know it's there!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely job if I may say so and I certainly can't see a join or bubbles. Can just hear Miss J &P's remark, but then what do teenagers know anyway? Myself I don't mind a less than perfect upcycle, as long as it doesn't look totally amateurish I'm happy
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. always thought you were completely cuckoo!!xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks amazing - I love that paper! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my god, that's the wallpaper in my parent's bathroom, it's still hanging from when Dad papered in 1971! It loks fab! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great! You'll probably find that, years down the line, your girls will be squabbling over who will inherit this family heirloom!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Inspired, so it is and looks a treat. They will be fighting over it in years to come.xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it when they tell you something is disgusting, when you know they will remember it fondly in years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Dim lighting"? How dare he?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks great! What a clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think your clock looks groovy, yes I still use that word :)
    I'm a picky perfectionist myself but don't judge others on the same basis. Having a go is the thing. I have just finished a ram's head for the wall and need to get going on a small table. The one I like is £150, so I'm gonna try and make one myself.Wish me luck

    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very 'now'!! I seem to start off ok and with all guns blazing then get bored half way through. We are doing the house up this year... oh dear!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks like a really fun project! What great wallpaper. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think you have done a most splen-di-do job Mrs J&P.
    Very crafty and quite striking in a good way!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think it looks great, Loo! If I ever make anything (an unusual occurrence) I am definitely devil-may-care; I'd be a constant disappointment to myself if I was a picky perfectionist!
    PS. Will let you know how Life of Brian stands up to being seen again after all these years... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. ooohh i love it, i think it looks fabulous and the best thing is, no one else will have one the same :-) dee x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely clock my dear!

    I sadly am the type to paint round a chest rather than move it! I leave inside seams unfinished - who will see! I rather paint the back of things (only to be found out when we moved.....). However if it is for someone else then I do get picky - especially if my bottom is not perfectly aligned.....!
    Have a sunny day
    Best wishes
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete